GMC Sierra Owners Manual
Engine Oil Life System
When to Change Engine Oil
This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on a combination of factors which include engine revolutions, engine temperature, and miles driven.
Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.
On some vehicles, when the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, a CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on to indicate that an oil change is necessary. See Engine Oil Messages on page 5‑45. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 mi). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might indicate that an oil change is not necessary for up to a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and, at this time, the system must be reset. For vehicles without the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message, an oil change is needed when the OIL LIFE REMAINING percentage is near 0%. Your dealer has trained service people who will perform this work and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly over the course of an oil drain interval and keep it at the proper level.
If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 mi) since the last oil change.
Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.
How to Reset the Engine Oil Life System
Reset the system whenever the engine oil is changed so that the system can calculate the next engine oil change. Always reset the engine oil life to 100% after every oil change. It will not reset itself. To reset the system on most vehicles:
1. Display the OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC. If the vehicle does not have DIC buttons, the vehicle must be in P (Park) to access this display.
See Driver Information Center (DIC) on page 5‑33.
2. Press and hold the SET/RESET button on the DIC, or the trip odometer reset stem if the vehicle does not have DIC buttons, for more than five seconds. The oil life will change to 100%.
On all vehicles, the Engine Oil Life System can be reset as follows:
1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds.
3. Display the OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC. If the display shows 100%, the system is reset. See Driver Information Center (DIC) on page 5‑33.
If the vehicle has a CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message and it comes back on when the vehicle is started and/or the OIL LIFE REMAINING is near 0%, the engine oil life system has not been reset.
Repeat the procedure.