GMC Sierra Owners Manual
Filling a Portable Fuel Container
Never fill a portable fuel container while it is in the vehicle. Static electricity discharge from the container can ignite the fuel vapor. You can be badly burned and the vehicle damaged if this occurs. To help avoid injury to you and others:
• Dispense fuel only into approved containers.
• Do not fill a container while it is inside a vehicle, in a vehicle's trunk, pickup bed, or on any surface other than the ground.
• Bring the fill nozzle in contact with the inside of the fill opening before operating the nozzle. Contact should be maintained until the filling is complete.
• Do not smoke while pumping fuel.
• Do not use a cellular phone while pumping fuel.