GMC Sierra Owners Manual
Shifting out of Park
This vehicle is equipped with an electronic shift lock release system.
The shift lock release is designed to:
• Prevent ignition key removal unless the shift lever is in P (Park) with the shift lever button fully released.
• Prevent movement of the shift lever out of P (Park), unless the ignition is in ON/RUN or ACC/ ACCESSORY and the regular brake pedal is applied.
The shift lock release is always functional except in the case of an uncharged or low voltage (less than 9 volt) battery.
If the vehicle has an uncharged battery or a battery with low voltage, try charging or jump starting the battery. See Jump Starting on page 10‑92 for more information.
To shift out of P (Park) use the following:
1. Apply the brake pedal.
2. Move the shift lever to the desired position.
If you still are unable to shift out of P (Park):
1. Ease the pressure on the shift lever.
2. While holding down the brake pedal, press the shift lever all the way into P (Park).
3. Move the shift lever to the desired position.
If you are still having a problem shifting, then have the vehicle serviced soon.