GMC Sierra Owners Manual
Hydraulic Power Steering
Your vehicle has hydraulic power steering. It may require maintenance. See Power Steering Fluid Power Steering Fluid on page 10‑27.
If power steering assist is lost because the engine stops or the power steering system is not functioning, the vehicle can be steered but may required increased effort. See your dealer if there is a problem.
If the vehicle is a hybrid, see the hybrid supplement for more information.
• Take curves at a reasonable speed.
• Reduce speed before entering a curve.
• Maintain a reasonable steady speed through the curve . Wait until the vehicle is out of the curve before accelerating gently into the straightaway.
Steering in Emergencies
• There are some situations when steering around a problem may be more effective than braking.
• Holding both sides of the steering wheel allows you to turn 180 degrees without removing a hand.
• Antilock Brake System (ABS) allows steering while braking.